The president said he is aware that the EFCC is investigating Oke and Lawal President Muhammadu Buhari, on Monday, October 30, said he is aware of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) investigation of the former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Babachir Lawal and the Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency, Ayo Oke.
The president who spoke through his media aide, Garba Shehu, said he is not going to stop the investigation by the anti-graft agency even after Lawal and Oke have been sacked, Premium Times reports.
According to report, previously, the President Buhari ordered the sack of both Lawal and Oke on Monday following a review of a panel report that investigated allegations against them
The presidency made this comment while reacting to allegations by critics that President Buhari sacked Oke and Lawal so as to stop investigation into the allegations of corruption leveled against them. Garba said: “The president, who is fully conversant with the provisions of the constitution will not stop the investigation of anyone because he has no such power under our laws. This is a decision of the Supreme Court.
“Based on his wish and desire for a strict observance of the law, the president expects the EFCC, ICPC and such agencies to proceed with ongoing investigations. “When and where they have reasonable grounds to charge former or serving officers to court under our laws, they do not require the permission of the president to do so
Meanwhile, the Peoples Democratic Party has called on the National Assembly to impeach President Muhammadu Buhari over the way he handled the cases involving Babachir Lawal and Ayo Oke.
NAIJ.com gathered that the party accused the President of double standard.
In a statement by its spokesperson, Prince Dayo Adeyeye, in Abuja on Monday, October 30, the party described the sacking of the two government officials as a slap on the wrist of Nigerians.
130 total views, 1 views today