Fluctuating ability Nick Kyrgios’ Australian Open plans were wrecked Tuesday when he pulled out from the Melbourne Summer Set competition, saying he was unwell yet had been gotten free from having Covid.
The 26-year-old group pleaser, broadly seen as Australia’s best player in spite of his reality positioning slipping to 93, was because of the start of his season on Rod Laver Arena against Slovak Alex Molcan in a night meeting.
“Please accept my apologies that I’ve needed to pull out from this Melbourne Summer Set occasion,” he said.
“I have been feeling run down and unwell for four days. I have had a few Covid tests in the course of the most recent couple of days which all returned negative.
“I don’t feel 100% so I really want to require this week to be prepared for Sydney (Classic) one week from now.”
Competition coordinators said he had asthma.
Kyrgios has not played since the Laver Cup in late September, referring to a knee injury, with his rebound currently planned for the Sydney Classic from January 9.
The Australian Open starts on January 17.